Last updated on 2 March 2010

Minutes of Feedstuffs Sub Committee: 2 February 2007

Meeting held at Atholl House, East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire Council.

Committee business

Attendees
Jackie Catterall
Maureen McLarty
Gary Walker
Brian Wilson
Alison Bannister
Alison Middleton
Wilma Urquhart
George Begg
Robert Watson
Nigel Mackenzie
Angela Blair

Welcome, minute-taking duties and apologies
Apologies were received from Marzena Young and Stephen Thomson.

Matters arising from previous minutes – 1 November 2006
Action 4a – Angela Blair will prepare a paper for Pat Glancey to go on the Road Haulage Association (RHA) website.

Action 7 – Maureen McLarty has forms that George Begg suggested scanning into Flare that should be in place in SAC by the end of financial year 2006/7. This is an inspection record to be signed and shared with the recipient. A copy will be shared with everyone else. She is looking for four authorities to share in the process of making up the formatted documents.
Action: Maureen McLarty

Report back from Scottish Food Enforcement Liaison Committee (SFELC) meeting
There was no report.

Update from the Food Standards Agency (FSA)

Alison Middleton is on secondment from Aberdeen City Council to the FSA.

Animal Feed Law Code of Practice
The Code of Practice will be enforced from 29 November 2007 on a Great Britain-wide basis. It will be available on the FSA website. Food Standards Agency Scotland (FSAS) will make two hard copies available to each local authority plus additional ones to the Society of Chief Officers of Trading Standards in Scotland (SCOTSS), the Public Analyst and the Animal Medicines Inspectorate (AMI).

There is an upcoming Code of Practice Guidance for Feedstuffs course. Alison Middleton will discuss with Ron Cheesman.
Action: Alison Middleton

The Animal Feedstuffs Guidance Board meeting agreed that it was not practical to keep a central list of registered feedstuffs premises. However, local authorities should make establishments in their area publicly available. Local authorities should still collect details and make lists of registered and approved businesses available on their websites. George Begg asked if there were any restrictions on this as his premises were not willing to have their details on a council website. There were possible data protection issues. Brian Wilson asked for guidance on the format in which registered premises should be made available.

There was no feedback from the stakeholder meeting of the Animal Health and Welfare Group.

The report on animal dioxins and PCBs is available on the FSA website. Details can be obtained from Alison Middleton.

The FSA hopes to be able to invite local authority bids for sampling funding for PCB/dioxin testing in 2007.

The FSA website has been revamped and contains links to all feedstuffs legislation and guidance.

A note of the Animal Feedstuffs Enforcement Liaison Group meeting is in preparation.

A Level 1 training course is scheduled for February, possibly in Glasgow, and for March in Dundee. Alison Middleton is still awaiting full details from the FSA. Twenty places are available on each course. The format has been agreed and is available on the LACORS website.
Action: Alison Middleton/Angela Blair

Level 2 training will be arranged for later in 2007 and will be funded by the FSA. Officers need to attend Level 1 prior to Level 2. Alison Middleton will send Alison Bannister full details and the Society of Chief Officers of Trading Standards in Scotland (SCOTSS) will supervise booking.
Action: Angela Blair

Alison Middleton asked if there should be a HACCP element in the Level 2 course. The consensus is that HACCP should be kept separate. Alison Middleton would look into this.
Action: Alison Middleton

Regulations on Animal Feedstuffs relating to the declaration of ingredients in compound animal feedstuffs has now been published. Details are available on the FSA website.

Questions

  • Gary Walker asked if there was an update on timescales and accreditation for public analysts.
  • Brian Wilson asked if the remaining results for 2001 the survey would be published online. Alison Middleton will feed back to Angela Blair.
  • George Begg asked if there was any clarification as to whether farms should have HACCP. There was no statement as yet. Alison Middleton thought it was unlikely that farms would be required to have a HACCP system, but there should be sufficient other arrangements to ensure that stringent hygiene procedures are maintained. George Begg also asked about arrangements to share inspection duties with other authorities for Level 2.

Update from Public Analysts

No Food Surveillance System (FSS) samples have gone through any of the four laboratories but they can be booked in through the FSA system. Regarding timescales and accreditation for FSA Scottish laboratories, Glasgow laboratory received just over 200 feedstuffs samples in 2006. Gary Walker will be sent full details including failures from all labs (attached to minutes). Glasgow laboratory has gone through significant restructuring. The permanent representative to SFELC will be decided by the Association of Public Analysts. Feedstuffs is a separate category from food samples. Brian Wilson mentioned that there does not seem to be an option for ‘vitamins’. Nigel Mackenzie suggested that there should be user trials before the system goes live. Gary Walker agreed. There may be training available for using the system. FSS would be contacted about this and Maureen McLarty would ask for a status update.
Action: Maureen McLarty

Update from Animal Medicines Inspectorate (AMI)

There was no report from the AMI.

Update from the LACORS Feed Focus Group

The last meeting took place on 29 January 2007.

The FSA are pushing LACORS to change risk bandings in the Risk Assessment Scheme. If a manufacturer has a quality assured scheme in place, local authorities can choose to move this to a medium risk category.

The Advisory Committee on Animal Feedingstuffs (ACAF) meeting decided to revise the old National Farmers Union code of practice for Animal Feedstuffs.

The Rogers Review does not apply to Scotland. Alison Middleton said that the FSA were talking about it.

On the issue of funding, a particular sum per holding per area is likely to take over from the Revenue Support Grant (RSG) in England and Wales. Alison Middleton thought livestock holding is the Scottish system. A bid is currently being prepared for local authorities to assist with additional work on feedstuffs enforcement. Nigel Mackenzie thought that it was usually in March that funding comes in.

The National Control Plan (formerly the inspection plan) is on the FSA website.

The feedstuffs calendar would be synchronised with the financial year. Every local authority will receive letters in February asking for feedstuffs plans for this year.

There is an Agricultural Industries Confederation (AIC) auditing course to pilot inspection reports to test consistency between local authorities. Maureen McLarty has volunteered the Scottish Agricultural College (SAC) for this.

Biosecurity training for animal feedstuffs inspectors is to be incorporated into FSA training. This is required in Animal Health and Welfare, Food Safety and Food Regulations. Alison Middleton will establish this in 1.2.10 under 'Experience' in Code of Practice.

Training on HACCP and Feed Management Systems will possibly be organised.

Training organised by the FSA on import controls applicable to bulk feeds may possibly be on offer. Anyone interested should send their details to Maureen McLarty.

Cash sales for traceability requirement in Regulations: LACORS believes there should be a record made by the wholesaler but it was difficult to see who would enforce this. This only applies to non-domestic animals.

LACORS wants to collate the grouping of Port Authorities.

Authorities are interested in possible funding for PCB/dioxin sampling but invoices need to be in by the end of March. The contact is Ron Cheesman.

Reports from regional QS groups

Wilma Urquhart reported that there had been no North Group meeting.

Brian Wilson reported that there had been no East Group meeting.

Alison Bannister reported that in the West Group:

  • West Dunbartonshire Council asked about Bolus in cattle exempt from feedstuffs registration.
  • A HACCP question was asked about where in the regulations it referred to its application to on-farm mixers. It was sufficiently clear in regard to pre-mixers and additives etc. Alison Middleton will provide a letter of clarification for local authorities.
  • The group would try and discuss better co-ordination of fertiliser sampling. There were very few manufacturers.

Any other business

Wilma Urquhart sought clarification on the Agriculatural Industries Confederation (AIC) guidance on percentage declaration on feedstuffs and asked whether it was correct that LACORS and the FSA were happy with the banding system. Alison Middleton will clarify.

Alison Bannister, for Marzena Young, asked the FSA why the National List of Registered Feed premises (2005) listed on the FSA website contains data from only 22 Scottish councils. She thought this might be the fault of local authorities who are not reporting their own figures. Alison Middleton will investigate.

George Begg asked if anyone was aware of farmers asking for their registration numbers. Some authorities were supplying this as a courtesy.

George Begg asked about waste foodstuffs being transported for feedstuff. The food producer would not need to registered as the activity falls under animal by-products legislation. Transporters may need to be registered.

In relation to the Code of Practice, Maureen McLarty asked whether anyone with Animal Health and Welfare on their credentials for inspection needed a qualification under Animal Health and Welfare. This was still unclear. Alison Middleton will investigate.

Maureen McLarty said that the warrant authorisation declares that any articles under the European Communities Act 1972 are covered. She asked whether there still needed to be separate authorisation under Feedstuffs and Food Hygiene Regulations. This was possible due to the specific powers under the regulations rather than the Act.

Brian Wilson asked about the current status of primary producers.

Brian Wilson also said that the Scottish Executive Environment and Rural Affairs Department (SEERAD) database is to be released. Angela Blair will contact Alison Middleton about this.

Brian Wilson raised the issue of qualifications for Code of Practice. He will contact Alison Middleton about this.

Brian Wilson asked whether there are any moves afoot for SEERAD to share information with Trading Standards on food safety as well as animal health. Alison Bannister will liaise with Alison Middleton about this and also speak to SEERAD.

The issue of whether farm visits are being registered as PI2 visits was raised. Angela Blair will contact groups on this but there was a problem in that there are two different criteria for farms.

Brian Wilson asked what authorities were doing about employing distinct Animal Health Officers. Angela Blair advised that she was organising a response on this through the weekly update.

Nigel Mackenzie announced this would be his last meeting chairing the group. He thanked everyone for their help and assistance.

The date of the next meeting was provisionally set for Tuesday 5 June 2007.