Last updated on 15 November 2011
Minutes of Food Standards Sub Committee: 1 June 2011
Meeting at Tayside Scientific Services, Dundee
Jacqui Angus, FSAS
John Bell, NSFLG
Paul Bradley, LBFLG (Chair)
Jane Couper, TSS
Lynn Cree, HPS
Joe Harkin, WSFLG
Andrew Mackie, ESS
John Waddell, GSS
Carolyn Ainsbury, FSAS
Jim Dixon, SFELC Hon Secretary
Craig Easson, ESFLG
Paul Bradley welcomed Michael Kierszten (TSS) as an observer at the meeting.
2. Minute of meeting held on 9 September 2010
Accepted as a true record subject to the correction of spelling errors.
3. Matters arising
Paul Bradley had received a copy of Bill Adamson’s presentation on materials in contact with food but would attempt to have it converted to a more suitable format for distribution.
Paul Bradley reported that the SFELC Enforcement Resources Sub-Group hoped to finalise its report on sampling and work on producing a sampling toolkit for samplers in the near future.
Action: The Sub-Committee remained content for Paul Bradley to circulate a draft of the guidance when the next version is available.
The Committee noted, with some concern, the problems some authorities were having with communication from the FSSUK helpdesk.
A draft procedure and record for FSSC dealing with FSSUK problems and enhancements was discussed and it ws agreed that a second draft should be circulated.
After discussion it was also agreed that the time was now right for a suggestions and enhancements for FSSUK to be proactively discussed by FLGS and FSSC
Action: FLG reps to ensure that outstanding issues or concerns regarding FSS are sent to Paul Bradley. In addition FLGs should be asked to discuss possible enhancements and suggestions for FSS and feed these back to FSSC.
Action: Paul Bradley to amend draft procedure and record and circulate to FSSC members.
6. Working Groups
6a. Research Working Group
Lynn Cree reported that the the 2010 sampling report should had been issued and work was now starting on a ‘public facing’ version.
It was agreed that it would be useful for FLGS to discuss the 2010 sampling report and to feed any comments on format and content back to RWG.
Action: FLG reps to request that the 2010 sampling report is discussed at FLG meetings and arrange for any feedback to be passed to RWG.
6b. Healthy Living Working Group
There was nothing to report.
6c. LGR Groups
There was nothing to report other than noting SFELC’s decision to that it would seek to assume any gap in service caused by possible changed in the funding and organisation of LGR..
7. Survey Programme
The Active Surveys table was discussed and updated. The updated table is attached. The following surveys were discussed in detail:
It was noted that SFELC had approved this report and Paul Bradley advised that he had arranged for a copy to be sent to DWQR for their information
JW was able to report on continuing failure of a number of samples to meet the new SFELC mains cooler TVC standard. This problem appears to persist in a number of cases even after the guidance for users given in the report is followed. Some of the manufacturers involved are claiming that the SFELC standard is too tight.
Action: After discussion it was agreed that Paul Bradley should highlight these continuing issues to DWQR when he sends the SF21 report. In addition JW and Jane Couper would investigate whether data for mains cooler samples taken since the survey period can be collated.
SF29 and SF30
Draft protocols had been circulated and were discussed. Second drafts will be prepared and circulated.
After some discussion it ws agreed Paul Bradley would contact Jacqui McElhinney (FSAS) seeking clarification of a number of sampling and data gathering issues.
8. Business from FLGs and FSA
Nothing to report
Paul Bradley reported on a consumer complaint regarding the availability of ‘Scottish new potatoes’ in January. It transpired that potatoes from the previous year's second crop are stored in ‘special’ conditions to allow them to be sold as ‘new’ in the winter. The complaint potatoes did not have the delicate appearance normally associated with ‘new’ potatoes.
After being advised that the Potato Council guidance for grading potatoes allowed for this practice it was thought unlikely that action could be taken in terms of misleading labelling.
Nothing to report
Nothing to report
Jacqui Angus reported on three items:
- FSAS had been asked to fund work on developing a technique to test for the origin of Scottish venison. The Committee noted that a similar test to confirm the origin of Scottish Salmon might be more useful.
- FSAS have advised that mesquite is to be treated as a novel food.
- Guidance has been issued for caterers on claims for people intolerant of gluten.
9. Review of the Food Safety (Sampling & Qualifications) Regulations
The Committee considered a consultation paper from FSAS on this subject. It was agreed that the Committee should reply to the consultation noting that:
- sampling is integral to food safety enforcement and is therefore a crucial component of the proposed review of official controls
- an opportunity to consider and comment on the qualification requirements for public analysts and food examiners would be welcomed
Action: Paul Bradley to respond to FSAS Food Safety (Sampling & Qualifications) Regulations consultation.
10. Food Standards Advice for Caterers
It was noted that no new progress had been made with this project but that it was integral to FSSC’s 2011/2 work programme
11. Review of FSA Farmers Market Guidance
Jacqui Angus reported that FSAS intended to update this guidance. It was agreed John Bell would review the existing guidance with colleagues to assess how much work was required to update the food standards aspects. If necessary other volunteers would be approached to help with this work. It was noted that this guidance could form the basis of more general advice on non prepacked and prepacked for direct sale food.
Action: John Bell to review existing food standards aspects of farmers market guidance.
12. Composition and labelling of distinctly Scottish foods
A draft form for recording SFELC guidance on the composition and labelling of distinctly Scottish foods had been circulated and was discussed. A number of amendments were made and it was agreed that a list should be complied of foods which could be subject to guidance.
Action: Paul Bradley to amend and circulate second draft of guidance form and to arrange for a list of candidate foods to be gathered.
13. Any other business
JH reported that this would be his last meeting as WSFLG representative. The Committee joined Paul Bradley in thanking Joe for his membership and input to the Committee and in wishing him well for the future.
14. Future meetings
The following meeting dates were agreed.
14 September 2011
9 November 2011
Action: Paul Bradley to arrange venues.