Food law code of practice
The current Code of Practice for England came into force on 6 April 2014. The Code is subject to an ongoing review process to reflect developments in enforcement policy and the changing nature of the food industry.
The most recent changes include:
- clarification of the descriptors used to rate and assign intervention frequencies at food establishments
- greater focus on businesses with persistent or serious non compliances by reducing the frequency of interventions in those businesses with good management controls in place
- a reduction in dual enforcement in a small number of establishments currently subject to both FSA and LA control.
The Food Law Code can now also be accessed in its new web based format below.
Any associated information will be found in the guidance or related link sections. Authorities are advised to refer to this version to ensure it has the most up-to-date advice possible.
If authorities do need to access the downloadable versions of either the Code or the Practice Guidance they can be found in the related links section below.
If you have any suggestions on how the FSA can improve the functionality of these pages for officers please contact us as we are keen to develop this to suit your needs:
If you have any queries about the content of the Code of Practice please contact:
Enforcement and Local Authority Delivery
1st floor, Aviation House
London, WC2B 6NH
tel: 0207 276 8503 email: email@example.com
Section 1 - Administration
Section 2 - Communication
Section 3 - General enforcement
- 3.1 - Approach to enforcement
- 3.2 - Hygiene Improvement Notices/Improvement Notices
- 3.3 - Prohibition Procedures
- 3.4 - Seizure and detention
- 3.5 - Remedial Action Notices/Detention Notices
- 3.6 - Temperature control requirements
- 3.7 - Import of food from third countries
- 3.8 - Food safety and general food law
Section 4 - Interventions
Section 5 - Product-specific establishments
Section 7 - Internal and Food Standards Agency monitoring
Section 8 - Annexes
- 8.1 - Annex 1 - Abbreviations
- 8.2 - Annex 2 - HACCP evaluation competencies
- 8.3 - Annex 3 - Food incident flow diagram
- 8.4 - Annex 4 - Food incident report form (Food Authorities)
- 8.5 - Annex 5 - Food establishment intervention rating schemes
- 8.6 - Annex 6 - Food business establishment/food premises intervention report
- 8.7 - Annex 7 - Model forms for use in connection with the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013
- 8.8 - Annex 8 - Model application form for the registration of a food business establishment
- 8.9 - Annex 9 - Model notice of temporary closure of production area(s) (live bivalve molluscs/shellfish)