1. The use of the branding of the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (FHRS), which is operated in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and the branding of the Food Hygiene Information Scheme (FHIS), which is operated in Scotland, should not be seen as or portrayed as Food Standards Agency (FSA) endorsement of any individual food business chain of food businesses, website, smartphone application or other online application.
2. The images must only be used in accordance with the FHRS ‘Brand Standard’ and with these terms and conditions. You should read and familiarise yourself with the FHRS Brand Standard (Section 9 gives guidance on using the FHRS branding): www.food.gov.uk/fhrs-brand-standard
3. Food business operators and users of FHRS/FHIS images and data should be reminded that displaying an invalid rating or using this in any advertising or publicity material may constitute an offence under trading standards legislation. For example, an offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. The ratings are subject to change as they reflect the standards found when a business is assessed by local authority food safety officers when they inspect or visit the premises. Users of the information are responsible for ensuring that the information/images used reflect the current rating of the establishment.
4. The food hygiene rating data is available via an API. This is a free service and there is no need to register before using it. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you make clear whether the data you are using is either from the live data or static data that is updated daily. Read more about how to access the API: www.food.gov.uk/hygiene-rating-open-data
5. The content of the pages at www.food.gov.uk/ratings is subject to change without notice.
7. Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered at www.food.gov.uk/ratings for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Your use of any information or materials at www.food.gov.uk/ratings is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any services or information available through www.food.gov.uk/ratings meet the specific requirements and in particular make clear to the user that the food hygiene rating or inspection result given to a business reflects the standards of food hygiene found on the date of inspection or visit by the local authority.
8. www.food.gov.uk/ratings contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance, maps and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with these terms and conditions and the Crown Copyright notice. Read the Crown Copyright notice: www.food.gov.uk/crown-copyright. Local authority logos are owned by local authorities and if you want to use a local authority’s logo, you will need to ask that local authority for permission.
9. Unauthorised use of www.food.gov.uk/ratings and its services may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
10. From time to time www.food.gov.uk/ratings may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
11. Your use of www.food.gov.uk/ratings, and its services, and any dispute arising out of such use of www.food.gov.uk/ratings and its services is subject to the laws of England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.