David Peace has an extensive management career involved in the food and farming industry.
Following his early business training with two of the largest tobacco multinationals, David joined the poultry industry division of Union International. He moved into the red meat industry with Borthwicks PLC before joining the food manufacturing division of Booker PLC, supplying prepared food to the leading UK multiple retailers. It was at that point he accepted an offer to join ADAS as Head of Food, in the three years leading up to the privatisation process, remaining for a year beyond its completion.
David's tenure at ADAS was followed by his role as inaugural Chief Executive of Assured British Meat. This was created in response to the BSE crisis, which became part of the Red Tractor Assurance (RTA) initiative, now custodian of most mainstream farm assurance standards in the UK. He then spent nine years as Managing Director of Soil Association Certification Limited (SACL), the certification subsidiary of the Soil Association charity, responsible for the certification of over 80% of UK organic food.
During 2010, with funding from a private equity firm, David formed a new certification business venture, Certus Compliance Group Ltd, aimed at acquiring certification businesses in the food and associated sectors, and served as the company’s Chief Executive. Certus’ first acquisition, SFQC Ltd (Scottish Food Quality Certification) came in June 2011. As 2012 approached, David moved from Certus to develop his consultancy and non-executive work.
Consultancies and/or direct employment
- ABPI (The British Recorded Music Industry)
- Hall Mark Meat Hygiene Ltd – strategic advice on group development
- Farm-based food business in Monmouthshire
- Hall Mark Meat Hygiene Ltd
- Approved Therapeutic Foster Carer
- Old House Farm
- Tesco PLC
- Royal Mail PLC
Clubs and other organisations
- Member of the Farmers Club, London
- Member of the Fostering Network
- Member of the Soil Association
Other personal interests
- Old House Farm
- Davina Peace Personal Injury Trust
Land and property
- Owns own home and a rented flat
Other public appointments
- Appeals Panel for Farmers and Foresters in Wales – 2011 to 2014
- Advisory Committee on Organic Standards (ACOS) – 2003 to 2006
Other non-personal interests