Ruth retired as Chief Medical Officer for Wales in 2016 after nearly 4 years in the post.
In that time, she supported policy on:
- public health
- quality and safety
- primary care
- research and development
- health strategy with a focus on prudent health care
Born and brought up in north Wales, her career developed in England, initially training as a GP. She worked in academia, as Director of Public Health in Liverpool and then in strategic posts in north west England for the NHS and Department of Health. Prior to joining Welsh Government, she was part of the Public Health Transition Team in the Department of Health, Whitehall.
An interest in tackling health inequalities and involving communities in their health and wellbeing has underpinned her work.
Paid employment, office or profession.
- Public Health professional - Ruth is on the GMC register
- Farming - Brother is landowner in north Wales and has tenant farmers. Aunt and cousins are farmers in north Wales
- NHS - Ruth's brother is Chair of Betsi Cadwalader University Health Board, north Wales and her husband is a GP in Liverpool
Directorships, whether paid or not.
Organisations, clubs or bodies
Membership of public bodies, trusteeship of a charity or other public or private trust, or membership, role or affiliation to clubs or organisations.
- The Reader Organisation, trustee
Income, recognition or benefits
Any business, professional or public activities or interests that provides a regular source of income, recognition or some other benefit.
- Lecturing, professional advisory services Honorary positions with a number of Universities – Ad hoc activities
- Health advice to one of Channel Islands
- Chair, parliamentary review of health and social care in Wales
- Membership of public bodies, trusteeship of a charity or other public or private trust, or membership, role or affiliation to clubs or organisations
- Liverpool College Foundation – Member
- Ramblers Cymru - Member and President north Wales area
- Harthill Allotment society
- Informal collaboration with other public health professionals (Harnessing Health network)
- Unit Trusts only – Ruth owns a small number of shares