The guides provide detailed information covering the following areas:
- description of the crop and its production methods and market
- pesticides used on the crop and reasons for their use
- pesticide residues found on the crop
- approaches to reduce pesticide residues
- research relevant to reducing residues
- knowledge and technology transfer (translating of research results into clear advice to farmers)
The scope of the guides covers production within the UK using conventional methods. Organic farming, use of genetic modification, and the non-professional use of pesticides are outside their scope.
They offer general advice on the broad approaches to reducing residues that may be explored and a combined reference source of best practice and existing initiatives at the time of writing. They do not include detailed protocols that would require regular updating. Where possible, contact details and web-site addresses have been included so that up-to-date information can be easily found.
The guides were amended in Dec 2006 to make the following change to the text. The wording in the first paragraph of the liability disclaimer has been changed to reflect that the information contained within the guides was correct to the best of the author's knowledge up to March 2006 rather than at time of publication, as stated previously.