The following products previously banned under Commission Decision 2002/994/EC(as amended) can enter the EU providing each consignment undergoes pre-shipment checks for the presence of the illegal veterinary medicines chloramphenicol and nitrofurans and their metabolites, and is accompanied by a signed declaration from the Chinese competent authority with the analytical check results.
In addition, from 1 July 2008 consignments of aquaculture fishery products need to undergo pre-shipment checks for the presence of malachite green and/or crystal violet, and/or their metabolites, and be accompanied by a signed declaration from the Chinese competent authority with the analytical check results.
These products are:
- aquaculture fishery products
- peeled and/or processed shrimps
- crayfish of the species Procambrus clarkil caught in natural fresh waters by fishing operations
- rabbit meat
- royal jelly
- poultry meat products from Shandong Province heat treated to at least 70°C*
- eggs and egg products*
- propolis and bee pollen
* The import restrictions for certain products derived from poultry from China remain in place at present due to deficiencies in sanitary conditions, and the outbreak of avian (bird) flu.
No other products of animal origin are permitted for import from China into the EU.