Imports and food labelling

Last updated:
20 December 2005
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has responsibility for providing general labelling information in England.

You can contact Defra on 0845 933 5577 (Helpline) or by email You will need to specify that you wish to be put through to the Labelling team.

The Food Standards Agency has policy responsibility for general labelling in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

For advice on the labelling of specific products, please contact your local authority’s trading standards department or environmental health department, or that of your UK distributor.

Find your local food safety team