Register of representatives of non-European Union feed establishments

Feed establishments in third countries (non-EU countries) which manufacture certain additives and premixtures of additives and compound feeds that contain them, and which export such products to the EU, must have a representative registered in the EU.

Details of this requirement, and how to apply to be a representative, are provided below with a list of representatives who have been registered in the UK.

Approval and registration

The information provided here is only a summary of the requirements concerning the approval and registration of certain feed establishments and should be read in conjunction with the appropriate EU and UK legislation (outlined below).

Council Directive 95/69/EC required certain feed business establishments operating in the EU and engaged in the manufacture, marketing and use of certain feed additives to be approved or registered. The Directive also envisaged the application of equivalent standards to third country establishments exporting certain feed additives and feed containing those additives to the EU. The Directive was replaced by EC Regulation 183/2005 on feed hygiene, which applies to all feed business establishments in the EU irrespective of their activities and requires their approval or registration by Meber State competent authorities.

Directive 98/51/EC applied to imports from third countries of the products to which Directive 95/59 applied, and provided that Member States could import these only from third country establishments which have representatives in the EU. These representatives are required to submit to the competent authority declarations as to the activities carried out by the third country manufacturing establishment. The overall system is intended to ensure that imported additives, premixtures and feed products comply with the same quality control standards as apply in Member States.

Although both Directives were repealed by EC Regulation 183/2005, a transitional provision in the Regulation requires that for the time being imports must continue to be authorised under Directive 98/51 pending the drawing up of lists of third country establishments permitted to export to the EU.


Representatives of third country manufacturers exporting to the EU are required to make a declaration on behalf of those manufacturers before importation can take place. The declaration requires the representative to ensure that the third country establishment complies with requirements at least equivalent to those EU feed businesses must comply with, provide evidence to show how you ensure compliance with the necessary requirements and that you keep a register of all the products the establishment sells in the EU for which you are the declarant.

In the UK, a person wishing to act as a representative of a third country establishment must submit a declaration to the Food Standards Agency (unless the declaration concerns zootechnical additives, in which case it should be sent to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate). There is a link below to a model letter for declarations to the FSA.

Feed and On-Farm Delivery Team
Local Delivery Division
UK Food Standards Agency
Aviation House, 125 Kingsway
London WC2B 6NH


And change the VMD contact details to:

Annie Green
Veterinary Medicines Directorate
Woodham Lane
New Haw
Surrey KT15 3LS


Further information on imports

Please contact the Imported Food Enquiry Point in the first instance for information on importing food into England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Email: The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) is responsible for imports of products of animal origin, such as meat, meat products, dairy products and egg products. You can email: Information on registration/approval of feed establishments can be found in the questions and answers about animal feed establishment representatives linked below.