About this consultation
Who will this consultation be of most interest to?
- Producers and users of animal feedingstuffs.
- Enforcement officers responsible for the enforcement of the Regulations in this sector.
What is the subject of this consultation?
Directive 2013/59/EURATOM lays down basic safety standards for protection against the dangers arising from exposure to ionising radiation. A transposition of the Directive is required for animal feedingstuffs.
The provision relating to animal feed is Article 21(1) which states:
“Member States shall prohibit the deliberate addition of radioactive substances in the production of foodstuffs, animal feedingstuffs, and cosmetics, and shall prohibit the import or export of such products.”
What is the purpose of this consultation?
To seek the views of stakeholders on the proposed Regulations, which will:
- Prohibit the intentional addition of radioactive substances to animal feedingstuffs
- Prohibit the import or export of animal feedingstuffs to which radioactive substances have been intentionally added
- Allow the use of Improvement Notices for non-compliance
- Allow for direct prosecution, where appropriate, for non-compliance
- Allow for seizure and detention of affected animal feedingstuffs
- Allow for powers of entry to commercial premises for enforcement officers
All comments and views should be sent to
Regulatory Policy Team
Food Standards Agency
11th Floor, Southgate House
Publication of response summary
Within three months of a consultation ending we aim to publish a summary of responses received and provide a link to it from this page.
In accordance with the FSA principle of openness we shall keep a copy of the completed consultation and responses, to be made available to the public on request. The summary of responses may include personal data, such as your full name. Disclosure of any other personal data would be made only upon request for the full consultation responses. If you do not want this information to be released, please complete and return the Publication of Personal Data Form. Return of this form does not mean that we will treat your response to the consultation as confidential, just your personal data.