Skip to main content

Official feed and food control laboratories

Details of official feed and food control laboratories in the UK that are designated to undertake sample analysis work.
Last updated

In the UK, official feed and food laboratories are Public and Agricultural Analysts and Food Examiners (microbiology laboratories) that undertake work for local authorities for enforcement purposes. Other designated laboratories undertake official controls in specified areas for monitoring purposes.

All official laboratories must employ suitably qualified staff.  Laboratories undertaking enforcement work for local authorities must have a Public or Agricultural Analyst (formally appointed by a local authority) or a qualified Food Examiner.

We are responsible for designating the majority of official laboratories in the UK according to the National Control Plan, as required by Official Feed and Food Control Regulations 2017/625. We do not own or operate any of these laboratories.

In Northern Ireland, EU law will continue to apply from 1 January 2021 in respect of the majority of food and feed hygiene law, as listed in the Northern Ireland Protocol. This includes Regulation 2017/625 for Official Feed and Food Controls which specify the requirements pertaining to the designation of EU Food and Feed Official Control Laboratories (OCLs).

This means that from 1 January 2021, the OCLs which NI Competent Authorities use for the analysis of official control food and feed samples must be located in NI or within an EU Member State (MS) and be designated by the FSA and the EU MS in which they are located.

The Public Analysts and Food Examiners designated for NI are appointed under national law, The Food Safety (Northern Ireland) Order 1991, therefore there is no change required regarding these designations.


Any questions should be directed to the laboratory itself.

Official Laboratories for GB (enforcement)

Key of analyst types:

  • Agricultural Analyst - AA
  • Public Analyst – PA
  • Food Examiner - FE


Aberdeen Scientific Services Laboratory (AA PA FE)
Aberdeen City Council
Old Aberdeen House
Dunbar Street, Aberdeen 
Scotland AB24 3UJ
tel: 01224 491648

Edinburgh Scientific Services (AA PA FE)
City of Edinburgh Council
4 Marine Esplanade
Scotland EH6 7LU
tel: 0131 555 7980

Glasgow Scientific Services (AA PA FE)
Glasgow City Council
Colston Laboratory
64 Everard Drive, Glasgow 
Scotland G21 1XG
tel: 0141 276 0610

Hampshire Scientific Service (AA PA FE)
Hyde Park Road
Southsea, Hampshire 
England PO5 4LL
tel: 023 9282 9501

Kent Scientific Services (AA PA)
8 Abbey Wood Road, Kings Hill
West Malling, Kent 
England ME19 6YT
tel: 03000 415100

Lancashire County Scientific Services (AA PA FE)
Pedders Way
Preston Riversway Docklands
England PR2 2TX
tel: 01772 721660

Minton, Treharne & Davies Ltd (AA PA)
Forest Farm Industrial Estate
Longwood Drive
CF14 7HY
tel: +44 (0)2920 540 000

Public Analyst Scientific Services Ltd (PASS) (AA PA FE)
i54 Business Park
Valiant Way, Wolverhampton,
England WV9 5GB
tel: 01902 627241

Tayside Scientific Services (AA PA FE)
Dundee City Council
James Lindsay Place, Dundee Technopole
Scotland DD1 5JJ
tel: 01382 307170

Public Health England (PHE)

Food Water and Environmental Laboratories (FWE)

FWEM Network London Laboratory (FE)
61 Colindale Avenue, London 
England NW9 5EQ
tel: 0208 327 65500/49

FWEM Laboratory, Porton (FE)
England SP4 0JG
tel: 01980 616766

FWEM Laboratory, York (FE)
The Food and Environmental Research Agency (Fera Science)
Sand Hutton, York 
England YO41 1LZ
tel: 01904 468948

Public Health Wales (PHW)

Microbiology Bangor (FE)
Ysbyty Gwynedd, 
Bangor, Gwynedd 
Wales LL57 2PW
tel: 01248 384718

Microbiology Cardiff (FE)
Llandough Hospital
Penlan Road, Penarth 
Wales CF64 2XX
tel: 029 20716745

Microbiology Carmarthenshire (FE)
Glangwili General Hospital
Wales SA31 2AF
tel: 01267 237271

Official Laboratories for Northern Ireland (enforcement)

Northern Ireland Public Health Laboratory (FE)
Belfast City Hospital, 
Lisburn Road Belfast 
Northern Ireland BT9 7AD 
tel: 028 90263588

Eurofins Food Testing Ireland Ltd (PA AA)
A) Unit D13, North City Business Park,
North Road, Finglas, Co. Dublin 11, Ireland
tel:  01902 627200

B) Glanmire Industrial Estate,
Glanmire, Co.
Cork, Ireland
tel:  01902 627200

Eurofins Analytics (Nantes)
9 rue Bobierre
44323 Nantes,
tel: +33 2 51 83 21 00

Eurofins Coeur De France
Zone de l'étoile
Boulevard de Nomazy
03000 Moulins
tel: +33 4 70 47 71 00

Eurofins GeneScan GmbH,
Engesserstrasse 4
79108 Freiburg
tel: +49 761 50 38 10 0

Eurofins Analytik GmbH
Neuländer Kamp 1 
21079 Hamburg
tel: +49 40 49 294 1770

Eurofins WEJ Contaminants GmbH
Neuländer Kamp 1
21079 Hamburg
tel: +49 40 49 29 42222

Other official control laboratories (monitoring)

Other official control laboratories for specific areas of work as defined in the UK National Control Plan.


Laboratories testing for marine biotoxins in live bivalve molluscs

Laboratories testing for planktons in shellfish production and relaying areas


SAMS (The Scottish Association of Marine Science)
SAMS Research Services Ltd
Scottish Marine Institute, Oban
Argyll PA37 1QA
tel: 01631 559000 

Laboratories monitoring chemical contaminants in shellfish

Laboratories monitoring Escherichia coli in shellfish


Cefas Weymouth Laboratory (mainland and Western Isles)
SSQC  (Shetland Seafood Quality Control) (Shetland and Orkney only)
Port Arthur, Scalloway
Shetland  ZE1 0UN
tel: 01595 772441

This laboratory may also undertake testing of samples of shellfish at our request for Salmonella spp. (excluding Salmonella Typhi) and Vibrio spp. (restricted to Vibrio parahaemolyticus).

Raw cows' drinking milk

Laboratories monitoring Trichinella parasites in farmed animals


Laboratories monitoring Trichinella parasites in wild boar

Laboratories monitoring Trichinella parasites in Northern Ireland

Other specified official control laboratories in Northern Ireland

Laboratories analysing milk and milk products

Laboratories monitoring feed samples