Skip to main content

Privacy notice for the Food and You Survey

Information on the Food and You Survey privacy policy, why we require data, what we do with the data and your rights.
Last updated

The Food Standards Agency will be what is known as the ‘Controller’ of the personal data provided to us.

Why we need it

We need to collect this information for the purpose of conducting social research as part of the Food and You project, conducted on our behalf by NatCen Social Research, which asks participants about their attitudes and behaviours around cooking, shopping and eating. This is as part of our statutory duty to ensure that we understand consumer needs in relation to food. This data is all anonymised and passed to the Food Standards Agency by NatCen, as well as being published as open data in the UK Data Archive.  

With consent, contact details (e.g. name, address) are collected and passed to the FSA if participants would like to be contacted for future research.

You have consented to provide your contact details to us but are able to withdraw your consent at any time by getting in touch with us, or with NatCen who will pass on your request.

What we do with it

We retain contact details only for as long as necessary to carry out these functions, and in line with our retention policy. This means that this information will be retained for 2 years from receipt.

NatCen also retain the contact details for 2 years. The anonymised data is retained indefinitely. All the personal data we process is located on servers within the European Union. Our cloud based services have been procured through the government framework agreements and these services have been assessed against the national cyber security centre cloud security principles.

No third parties have access to your personal data unless the law allows them to do so.

Your rights 

You have a right to see the information we hold on you by making a request in writing to the email address below. If at any point you believe the information we process on you is incorrect you can request to have it corrected. If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact our Data Protection Officer who will investigate the matter.

If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data not in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).