Timothy Riley is a livestock farmer in West Yorkshire, producing pasture-based and environmentally sustainable Beef and Lamb. He runs a Pedigree Beef Shorthorn herd and is a Director and Vice President of the UK Beef Shorthorn Cattle Society.
He is a Non-Executive Director of the Veterinary Medicines Directorate, DEFRA; a Non-Executive Director of Better2Know Limited, Executive Chair to Wellstate HTA Limited and is a member of the DEFRA Farm Animal Genetic Resources Committee. He formerly was a member of the FSA Advisory Committee on Animal Feedstuffs for six years.
From 1991 to 2001, he served as a Senior Civil Servant in the Department of Health and led the UK Government policy and establishment of the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) for the UK, was Head of NHS Public Health policy, and led policy development for the UK National Screening Committee plus a number of other health policy and service initiatives.
He was subsequently Chief Executive to three NHS Primary Care Trusts and a Member of the UK Secretary of State of Health's Sounding Board. He was invited to serve on the Prime Minister's Futures Forum and was a co-author of the Forum's report, "The NHS Role in Public Health".
Timothy has a PhD in Molecular Immunology from Kings College, Cambridge University.
- Beef and Lamb Livestock Farmer on family owned farm.
- Company Director
Directorships whether paid or not.
- Chairman, Wellstate HTA Limited (Shareholder Dividend Only).
- Non-Executive Director of Better2Know Limited (Paid).
- Non-Executive Director and Vice President of Beef Shorthorn Cattle Society (Unpaid).
- Non-Executive Director, Veterinary Medicines Directorate, DEFRA (Paid)
Income, recognition or benefits
Any business, professional or public activities or interests that provides a regular source of income, recognition or some other benefit.
- Farmer/Land Owner in receipt of CAP Basic Payment Scheme.
- Member of DEFRA Committee, Farm Animal Genetic Resources Committee.
Organisations, clubs or bodies
Membership of public bodies, trusteeship of a charity or other public or private trust, or membership, role or affiliation to clubs or organisations.
- Member, Pasture Led Livestock Association.
- Member, Lleyn Sheep Society.
- Member, Yorkshire Agricultural Society.
- Member, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust.
- Member, British Association of Shooting and Conversation (BASC).
- Member, Civil Service Club.
- Non-Resident Member of Kings College, Cambridge.
Shares and investments
Any shareholdings other than those held by a unit trust or similar arrangements where the Board member has no influence on the management of the shares.
- Arcis Biotechnology Limited.
- Wellstate HTA Limited.
Spouse - Employed by Animal and Plant Health Agency, Shareholder in Wellstate HTA Limited (Shareholder Dividend Only).
Daughter - Anaesthetist/ACCS, Specialist Registrar, NHS
Daughter - Vice President, Refinery 29 Publishing
Son in Law - Interventional Radiologist, Specialist Registrar, NHS