Skip to main content
English Cymraeg

Food brokers

This helps brokers understand their obligations under food law including the need to register as a food business.

Last updated: 26 February 2018
See all updates
Last updated: 26 February 2018
See all updates

What a food broker does

A food broker is a business that purchases, ‘takes title to’ or has legal ownership of food for resale to other businesses such as:

  • manufacturers
  • retailers
  • caterers 
  • other brokers

Often the difference between food brokers and other food business operators (FBOs) is that they take legal ownership of the food and not physical possession. 

You are classed an FBO because you are supplying food to other businesses even if you may never take physical possession of food.

Registering as a food business

As an FBO you have to register your business with your local authority 28 days before you intend to trade.

If you are already trading and have not registered you need to do so as soon as possible. Registering your business is free of charge.

Register your food business

Good practice advice

Use only reputable and trusted suppliers. For new suppliers, you could visit their facilities to ensure they are clean and their products are produced to a high standard.

Consider implementing an industry recognised management system, such as:

Consider becoming a member of a Trade Association. Trade associations help their members by offering specialist advice, particularly of a technical and legal nature.

Read about Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles. 

Ask your local authority for help and consider the Primary Authority Scheme.