The National Enforcement Priorities are developed annually in consultation with
- Local authority (LA) representatives
- National trading Standards (NTS)
- Regional Feed Leads
- National Agriculture Panel (NAP) members
- National Animal Feed at Ports Panel (NAFPP) members
Incorporating the NEPs into a programme of official controls helps drive compliance by Feed Business Operators (FeBOs) through enforcement.
The NEPS objectives are to:
- maintain a level playing field for honest and diligent FeBOs in the interests of the feed industry
- reduce unnecessary burdens on business by focusing the activity of LAs on agreed areas of greatest threat to human and/or animal health
- create a flexible and effective intelligence-led approach to interventions, while maintaining appropriate levels of monitoring of compliance across England and Wales
- realise our strategic goal of ‘Food We Can Trust'
- drive up the quality and consistency of official controls across England and Wales
- safeguard animal and/or public health
Legislation and guidance to support local authorities to embed these priorities within their annual plan of official feed and food controls, can be found within the NEPs documents.