Skip to main content
English Cymraeg
Starting a food business

Additional help and support

This page contains additional help and resources for those who sell or distribute food to the public. Please read all the pages in this guide to ensure you have the information you need to run your food business.

Last updated: 9 February 2023
See all updates
Last updated: 9 February 2023
See all updates

Was the information in this guide helpful? Give us your feedback

Your business can get advice on:

You may have other responsibilities depending on what your food business does.

Make sure you check:

  • licences or permits for example to sell food or to trade in the street
  • insurance
  • your employees have the right to work in the UK. All employers in the UK have a responsibility to prevent illegal working. You do this by conducting simple right to work checks before you employ someone.

There are also rules you must follow if you’re:


GOV.UK provides useful information and resources for starting a business.

For general business guidance you can also contact the national Business Support Helpline service. Additionally, you can find free support, advice and sources of finance through your local ‘growth hub’


Business Wales is a free service that provides impartial, independent support and advice to people starting, running and growing a business in Wales. 

Northern Ireland is a free service offered by Invest Northern Ireland, is the official online channel for business advice and support for starting a business.


When you start a new food business or take over an existing business, you must register with your local authority