Skip to main content

Importing and exporting wine

England and Wales specific
Guidance on the measures you must take in order to import and export wine legally into or from the UK.
Last updated

Government guidance on import and export requirements for wine is available online. This guidance sets out the rules for wine importers, exporters, producers, retailers and distributors.

For those importing or exporting wine, movement documentation (EU VI-1) may be required when receiving wines from or exporting to the EU.


The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has launched a digital guide - Food and drink businesses: working with the EU. It covers the key actions food and drink businesses may need to take after the end of the transition period.

The guide will host the most up to date guidance for wine producers and traders, with changes and additions made as further information is confirmed.

Any additional enquires relating to the EU VI-1 process should be directed to Defra at