Third country representation for animal feed businesses

The measures that must be taken by animal feed businesses in third countries (non-EU countries) to legally sell feed within the EU and UK.
Last updated

Under Regulation No 183/2005, businesses in third countries (non-EU countries) must have a representative registered and/or approved in the EU. We publish a list of registered and approved animal feed businesses in the UK and the animal feed businesses operating in third countries they represent.

Non-EU country animal feed establishments

This covers the following types of establishment:

  • manufacturers of certain feed additives
  • manufacturers of certain novel protein source products
  • manufacturers of premixtures containing certain feed additives
  • compound feed manufacturers that incorporate the products mentioned above

Feed additives and protein sources

Feed additives typically include:

  • trace elements
  • vitamins
  • carotenoids and xanthophylls
  • micro-organisms and enzymes
  • antioxidants with a maximum permitted level
  • other additives with a maximum permitted level, not included in the above categories
  • coccidiostats, histomonostats and growth promoters

A full list of authorised feed additives is available from the Register of Feed Additives.

Certain novel protein sources include:

  • proteins obtained from micro-organisms belonging to the group of bacteria
  • yeasts (except yeasts cultivated on substrates of animal or vegetable origin), algae and lower fungi
  • co-products of the manufacture of amino acids by fermentation
  • amino acids and their salts
  • hydroxy analogues of amino acids

The requirement for a non-EU country establishment to have a representative in the EU will depend on the activity being carried out.

Representatives for non-EU establishments

The representative must ensure that the non-EU establishment complies with requirements, at least equivalent to those laid down in Directive 95/69/EC, relevant to the activity.

This includes certain conditions relating to quality standards: 

  • equipment
  • facilities
  • storage
  • personnel
  • record keeping

Representatives should make their application to the Member State authority where they are based. 

Declaring representation of non-EU representatives 

Only one representative in the EU is required for each non-EU country establishment. Formally, a declaration needs to be made for the application.

The declaration requests the following details:

  • the name or business name, and address of the person making the declaration
  • the name and address of the non-EU establishment in respect of which the declaration is made
  • details of each establishment activity that the non-EU establishment is exercising or intends to exercise on that establishment
  • details of the products being/to be exported to an EU Member State, ie. product data sheets, ingredients labels
  • a statement that the establishment complies, and an undertaking that when the establishment activity is exercised, it will comply. For example it will provide details of feed hygiene certificates
  • a statement that the representative understands the obligations
  • the submission of evidence to demonstrate how the representative ensures compliance. For example, frequency of inspections of premises covered by the representation or checks of feed hygiene certificates
  • a signature by or on behalf of the person making the declaration

Applicants should also note the following requirements:

  • For the purposes of the legislation, only one Community representative for each non-EU country establishment is required and they should make the declaration to the Member State in which they are located. For example, if a representative of a non-EU manufacturer based in France has made a declaration in France, an application to the UK is not required.
  • Declarations should be made on a UK basis
  • Representatives located in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should also send their declarations to the same FSA email address given below
  • Declarations relate to premises where an activity is carried out and not to a company as a whole
  • If a non-EU company owns several manufacturing plants then the declaration will need to cover each of these specifically. However, the same representative can cover each set of premises


For compound feedingstuffs and pre-mixtures not containing coccidiostats, histomonostats and growth promoters you should complete the model declaration and email to

For compound feedingstuffs and premixtures that contain coccidiostats, histomonostats and growth promoters, feed businesses should contact the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD) who will provide you with their model declaration form.

If the declaration is accepted, the FSA or VMD will provide the declarant with an acknowledgement confirming that the declaration has been accepted. This will include a unique identifying number for the third country establishment for which the declaration has been accepted to use on documentation.

The name of the representative and details of the non-EU establishment are placed on list of registered and approved representatives and third country establishments, which is updated regularly.

Conditions for Non-EU establishments

These are the conditions that relate to those set out in the annexes of Directive 95/69/EC, which apply to EU establishments. These are similar to the requirements of EC Regulation 183/2005 and relate mainly to standards of equipment, storage facilities, personnel and record keeping.

Further Information can be found with your Local Authority Trading Standards OfficeFood Standards Scotland and DAERA.

Privacy Policy