These are as follows:
- domestic ungulates: cattle, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, bison, water buffalo and horses
- poultry: farmed birds (chicken, turkey, duck, geese, guinea fowl, quail)
- lagomorphs: rabbits, hares and rodents
- farmed game: farmed deer, farmed boar and ratites (flightless birds: e.g. ostrich, rhea, emu)
- wild game (includes wild birds, wild lagomorphs, wild ungulates and wild land mammals)
The meat establishments listed below are subject to Regulations (EC) 852/2004 and (EC) 853/2004 and must be approved by the Food Standards Agency (FSA), in order to operate, unless they meet the exemption criteria in Regulation (EC) 853/2004:
- Farm slaughter facilities
- Game Handling establishments
- Cutting plants
These establishments are subject to official controls enforced and executed by the FSA.
When co-located with an approved slaughterhouse, cutting plant or Game Handling establishment, the following associated activities are also approved by the FSA (when stand-alone, they are approved by the local authority):
- Minced meat, meat preparations and mechanically separated meat establishments
- Processing plants (meat products, rendered animal fats and greaves, treated stomach, bladders, intestines, gelatine, collagen)
- Cold stores
- Re-wrapping establishments
List of meat establishments
These meat establishments are operating under Regulation (EC) No 852/2004, Regulation (EC) No 853/2004 and Regulation (EC) No 882/2004 and are either conditionally approved or approved.
Please note that:
- the former Farmed Game Handling Facilities are now known as On Farm Slaughter Facilities
- the former Farmed Game Processing Facilities are now known as Slaughterhouses the activities of which are limited to the dressing of carcasses
- the former Wild Game Processing Facilities are now known as Game Handling Establishments
- the coldstores and re-wrapping centres listed are on the same site as a slaughterhouse, cutting plant or game handling establishment.
The list of establishments is updated monthly, in Microsoft Excel format: