Once your premises have been approved, you will find the Manual for Official Controls (MOC) beneficial for further information.
The MOC describes the tasks, responsibilities and duties of our staff carrying out official controls in approved establishments.
Manual for Official Controls guidance
The Manual for Official Controls documentation is accurate as of 21 December 2020. Changes to the MOC can be found in the revision log.
EU references in FSA guidance documents
The FSA is updating all EU references, to accurately reflect the law now in force, in all new or amended guidance published since the Transition Period ended at the end of 2020. In some circumstance it may not always be practicable for us to have all EU references updated at the point we publish new or amended guidance.
Other than in Northern Ireland, any references to EU Regulations in this guidance should be read as meaning retained EU law. You can access retained EU law via HM Government EU Exit Web Archive. This should be read alongside any EU Exit legislation that was made to ensure retained EU law operates correctly in a UK context. EU Exit legislation is on legislation.gov.uk. In Northern Ireland, EU law will continue to apply in respect to the majority of food and feed hygiene and safety law, as listed in the Northern Ireland Protocol, and retained EU law will not apply to Northern Ireland in these circumstances.
Manual for Official Controls revision log
Changes to the Manual for Official Controls as of 21 December 2020.
- Section 1 - Updates to information required on Food Chain Information declaration.
- Section 4 - Updated wording regarding post-mortem records on IRIS.
- Section 1 - Updates to ante-mortem inspection at the holding of provenance.
- Sections 2 & 4 - Updates relating to field lairages.
- Section 2 - Updates relating to ante-mortem inspection of poultry.
- Sections 1, 3, 5 6 & 8 - Updates relating to welfare scoring, Certificate of Competence (CoC) suspension and CCTV provision. New Annex 18 - CCTV Viewing Protocol.
- Section 8 - Updates relating to flexible attendance and data recording methods.
- Annex 2 - Harvesting of Bovine Head Meat in Authorised Cutting Plants checklist
- Annex 3 - Bovine OTM VC removal checklist
- Annex 4 - Ovine and caprine spinal cord removal checklist.
- Section 2.5.2 - Removal of time frame for SRM referrals.
- Section 1 - Updates throughout section relating to OV attendance at post-mortem inspection in game handling establishments and K2 system.
- Annex 1 - Updates to the audit aide memoire under 1.2 and 5.1 relating to FCI and HACCP plan.
- Section 3 - New link added to CaPTa (Campylobacter PHC Testing Application).
- Section 2.4.2 - Removal of time frame relating to the recording of repeated contraventions.
- Section 4.9.1 - Removal of time frame relating to a referral for investigation of SRM contraventions.
- Section 5.1.5 - Removal of a reference in the Enforcement Concordat and replacement with text from the Regulators Code.
- AMI - Added updated AMI 2/4 form.
- Section 10 - Added updated EU 2073-2005 under point 10.9 and removed duplicate under 10.22.