Skip to main content
English Cymraeg

Contact us

Report a food problem, use our services or find our contact details.

How to report a food safety or hygiene issue

You can report a food problem in a restaurant, a food shop, a concern about an item purchased or with food ordered online to the local authority where the business is located. The local authority food safety team will consider the complaint and determine the most appropriate course of action.

Use this service to find contact details of the food safety team. You will have an option to email the team or use the local authority's website to report your issue.

What you can report

You can report:

  • suspected food poisoning
  • a foreign object found in your food
  • dirty premises
  • poor hand hygiene
  • poor food handling
  • food with visible signs of mould or decay
  • food sold past its use-by date
  • unavailable or incorrect allergen information

Complaints about poor-quality food and poor customer service should be made directly to the business or the ordering platform. This includes:

  • problems with payments and refunds
  • late, incorrect or missing takeaway delivery

For advice about your consumer rights, see the Citizens Advice website.

Please make sure you enter the full UK postcode for the food business you wish to report, for example SW1H9EX. 

Addresses and partial postcodes will not be recognised.

Find a food safety team

Please enter a full postcode to find the food safety team in the area.