Skip to main content
English Cymraeg

Register a food business

When you start a new food business, or take over an existing business, you must register with your local authority. You should do this at least 28 days before you start trading.

Registration is required regardless of where a business operates from in the UK. This includes food businesses trading from physical customer-facing premises, from home, a mobile unit or temporary premises such as a stall of van, or through online or distance selling 

Registration of your food business is free and can’t be refused. If you are already trading and have not registered yet, you need to register as soon as possible as this is a legal requirement.

You should register your food business on the GOV.UK food business registration portal.


We have more information on how to register a food business, including who needs to register, taking over an existing food business, and how to update your business details.
FSA Here to help - Home cook

Support for new food businesses

Those intending to start a food business, or change a business’s operations, must first consider a number of actions to ensure food hygiene and safety standards are met.

We have guidance to help food businesses through this process, with information on how to:


Further practical tips and legal requirements when setting up a new food business can be found in our start-up checklist for new food businesses.